Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:24 AM
Planar Protector

Don't underestimate a group of banned nerds. Get the best, they'll find a way to bring the servers down if they're determined.

Not saying that people shouldn't donate, but for that... I'm not so sure it's foolproof.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:40 AM
Banned

How bad would the DDOS be?

Days weeks months? Is Eashan an infinite pile of money?

At some point delaying the release is more harmful than enduring the alternative, right?

^Non factor non raider hottakes above
Old 02-20-2015, 02:46 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Terrorist is already winning if they're delaying velious because he's going to DDoS the box.
I agree with this.

You can't negotiate with terrorists and you shouldn't change your behavior because of their threats. What is the reasoning behind delaying velious because one guy has threatened a ddos attack?

And if you know who it is and they live in the US, then let them do it and turn them into the authorities. It is against the law...
Old 02-20-2015, 02:54 AM
Banned

Emperor Rogean,

Have you thought of any funding program we could create to help pay for this advanced ddos protection? There's options such as kickstarter, gofundme, or asking donations directly from forums.

Let me know Emperor.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:03 AM
Sarnak

The rmters goods become less valuable when Velious is released so he threatens ddos so it doesn't happen. When the ddoser starts ddosing he makes no money at all. Giving in to his demands is the worst thing you can do here. Release velious, survive ddos, and go back to normal.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Kobold

Wait was this the guy behind http://cogdev.net/blink/ ? Only wondering cause 2 of those names reminded me of it.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On second thought, what's to stop him from getting some russian to do the DDoS for him afterwards?
yup

aren't most ddos servers hosted in countries w/o extradition treaties ?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Costs money to use those DDoS services, less money than it takes to protect against them unfortunately.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Orc

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godefroi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What amount of money are we talking about here for proper DDoS protection?

I mean, I'm ready to donate the price of a full price AAA game to get velious released, if not more, so that's 60 bucks. And I believe I'm not alone.

Rogean shouldn't be shy to let us know about this, if 50k need to be raised to get proper DDoS protection, I believe it's something the community can achieve.

The issue is that this is an "amateur" project, and the staff are taking care of it as a "very time consuming" hobby, with an almost professionnal structure.

However, people who are seriously involved in the RMT business on p99 make a lot of money, at a massive scale and of course with a 0 tax fiscality.

Everywhere a lot of money is to be made, you will have people with the means and the money to blackmail/threaten/attack you would you get in the way of them making more money (Ban hammer - p99 is the only EMU with a very aggressive anti RMT policy - unlike EZ, hidden forest etc).

Our issue right now is the fact that p99 is an amateur project, with people considering themselves as RMT professionnals and acting as such.

Having the community fund "professionnal" DDoS protection seems the only way to rebalance this situation.
Since a DDoS attack would interrupt RMT business, why not set a fixed release date and let the RMTers deal with the people threatening DDoS.

Fight evil with evil!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Nothing new, but for anyone who hasn't seen it: Live DDoS attacks in progress...
Closed Thread