Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone else has started already and created their characters. The group composition is currently:

Warrior
Monk
Cleric
Enchanter
Druid
Rogue. Takes care of locked doors, CR's and brings much needed dps.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

bard. nobody likes running outdoors like a grandma
Old 01-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you all again for your great advice. Sadly, I now discovered a couple of the other members have changed their minds. The monk and druid are now shaman and wizard. So now the group is:

Warrior
Cleric
Enchanter
Shaman
Wizard

Well that throws a monkey wrench into things. Looks like we definitely need melee DPS now, so we're talking Rogue, Monk, Ranger. But without the Druid we don't have any snare to prevent runners. So that points me to Ranger. But I'm not really feelin' the Ranger right now. Hmmm...

What if I went with something off the wall, like a Necro? Could such a caster-heavy group work?

Again, thank you for your feedback.
Monk would be the traditional, safe pick. Your wizard will get snare at 29. Until then you can hold out. Runners can be mitigated, with root if nothing else. In the meantime, a properly twinked monk is doing great damage from the get go and also is the best puller in the game.

I do like necro here. Necros are great support utility and the pet (or charmed dead thing) provides good DPS. Also, this still gives your group FD in a case where you would need it, or summon corpse, or essence emerald rez, as you get older.

Ranger is OK for off tanking, snare, root parking, and other utility, but don't roll one if you're "not feeling it". Ranger isn't the kind of class you grow into. You're either feeling it and in love with it, or you'll get demoralized with all the stuff you do second-best.

Rogue is also acceptable, and it opens doors (see what I did there) for places like Befallen early on as well as Howling Stones and Seb crypt later. And of course their dps is best in the game.

Bard is the dark horse choice. They do many things amazingly. DPS, unfortunately, isn't one of them, and this party is not very strong in that department. They will make your wizard better with their mana song, though. Wizards are very mana intensive; anything you can shove into them will help them a lot. And of course they have snare, charm, aoe mez, normal mez, lull, travel song, etc.

I'd pick the monk or the rogue (after thinking about it, I think maybe the rogue, just because of the end game stuff). But I think any of these would be fine for your party.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Last edited by thufir; 01-15-2016 at 07:12 PM..
Old 01-15-2016, 07:15 PM
Kobold

Wizard snare costs 75 mana. Over the course of 30 pulls that's going to cost you 2,250 mana. At level 29 that's 15 casts of Thunder Strike, a net of -3705 damage.

Meanwhile druid snare costs 15 mana...I'll let you do the math on that one while I work on inventing a time machine.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
mages really aren't as bad as people make them out to be, especially if all you need is DPS. 54+ water pet with focus does ~40-50 dps if it can backstab, plus another 20 from Burnt Wood Staff spam.

also Malo/Mala would be very useful to this group
Nope...
Old 01-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningbreath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizard snare costs 75 mana. Over the course of 30 pulls that's going to cost you 2,250 mana. At level 29 that's 15 casts of Thunder Strike, a net of -3705 damage.

Meanwhile druid snare costs 15 mana...I'll let you do the math on that one while I work on inventing a time machine.
You probably won't have to snare every pull. Pull 3, mez 2, only need to snare 1, for example. A lot of mobs don't run at all.

I don't know why you're bringing this up anyway unless you want them to roll a druid for some crazy reason. Point is when they need a snare they have one so they shouldn't necessarily pick their 6th class on whether or not it has a cheap snare.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Sarnak

Regardless, any class would bring more to the table than a wizard... It's sad that they lack so much compared to other classes and I would never recommend it to another player unless they want to raid hardcore...
Old 01-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faywind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regardless, any class would bring more to the table than a wizard... It's sad that they lack so much compared to other classes and I would never recommend it to another player unless they want to raid hardcore...
You don't have to tell me. I played one until 59 on live during this era (63, if you count when I came back during PoP). My regrets about picking a wizard as my main are part of why I play here at all. They just don't do very much and what they do do is not really well suited for the XP grind that characterizes much of this game. Kunark era killed them, imo; their burst DPS was a decent tradeoff for their lack of sustain when melee had crappy weapons and mobs had crappy hp.

But if that's what the OP wants that's what they want. They do have some utility so it won't be as bad as all that. Have to level up a wizard somehow. And it is nice when you get to the very end and have Hsagra's Wrath and Porlos's Fury (expensive, though).
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Fire Giant

Necro pet/dots might make up some DPS. also low level darkness is an easy snare replacement imo. also some poor mans cc's with a shit mez and root around lvl 30 something

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 01-15-2016, 10:19 PM
Banned

yea but when a wizard gets lazy, they just sit there, when any other class they at least auto attack or pet dps..

and lets be honest, its ez to get lazy on p99
Closed Thread