Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 03:49 AM
Kobold

First they banned that Who'Tang guy's name, now Filbus? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really? Are you saying that because you're involved in IP law and know it to be true, or because you threw "Loramin" in to Google and some random webpage came up?

Because if you search the actual USPTO search for "Loramin" you get ...

My RL career is not relevant to the p99 naming policy, sir.

So far nobody has produced a legal notarized trademark application for "Loramin" but several different websites who compile that information for a living all give the same very specific information: Loramin--colgate palmolive corporation-1974. There are also dates of filing and a NYC-based address associated with this info. Anyone properly motivated could get those papers, or you could test this by attempting to sell something branded "Loramin" and you'd find out very quickly whether colgate-palmolive holds this trademark or not.

Your vocal defense in the face of a preponderance of evidence is inspiring but we cant fight reality here.

The only potential defense I see for the name "Loramin" would be to claim that it is two "acceptable" names put together as a compound (such as Lor Amin) but that seems like a stretch after the statements you've made.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The only potential defense I see for the name "Loramin" would be to claim that it is two "acceptable" names put together as a compound (such as Lor Amin) but that seems like a stretch after the statements you've made.
Upon further inspection, "Lor Amin" may also violate the naming policy.

https://www.elfdict.com/

Lor:

to slumber

lor- "to slumber" (LT1:259; the corresponding abstract noun lórë "slumber" is attested in Tolkien's later Quenya, so this verb must still be valid). Cf. also lor "dream" (Letters:308; probably just an Elvish "element" rather than a complete word)

Amin:

masculine name. hope

A rejected name for Aragorn, changed to Estel (PM/269). It is probably a variant of amdir (MR/320).

You will all have to forgive me, justifying/not justifying these names changes is the most fun I've had on p99 in quite a while. If I had all day I'd rip balers list to pieces.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

The pharmaceutical name is Loratadine not loramin you jackasses and atop that it's just Claritin which is no big deal.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Banned

What’s the end game here?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is this, some sort of coup de Filbus
Yes...

Fili & Fila - latin root for thread, or skinny - as in Filament

Bus - comes from the latin word omnibus meaning "for everyone" and referring to a passenger carrying vehicle - shortened to Bus

so rough translation of Filbus would be - skinnybus or threadbus which is an obvious violation...
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The pharmaceutical name is Loratadine not loramin you jackasses and atop that it's just Claritin which is no big deal.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The "pharmaceutical name" is not relevant. The naming policy states:

Copyrighted or trademarked names of products, characters, services, or concepts (e.g. Bigmac, Marlboro, Sony).

"Loramin" is trademarked. You need to step your game up, baler.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes...

Fili & Fila - latin root for thread, or skinny - as in Filament

Bus - comes from the latin word omnibus meaning "for everyone" and referring to a passenger carrying vehicle - shortened to Bus

so rough translation of Filbus would be - skinnybus or threadbus which is an obvious violation...
The image of "Fil'bus" is not enough to convict, because the punctuation is very important and changes the whole word.

I like where your head is at though with this latin argument, keep pushing and we'll bring another zealot down a notch.

My immersion is at critical levels right now due to this discussion, trying to imagine what someone in norrath would or wouldnt have heard of. We should have done this earlier!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The image of "Fil'bus" is not enough to convict, because the punctuation is very important and changes the whole word.

I like where your head is at though with this latin argument, keep pushing and we'll bring another zealot down a notch.

My immersion is at critical levels right now due to this discussion, trying to imagine what someone in norrath would or wouldnt have heard of. We should have done this earlier!
WU-TANG vs WU'TANG says you are wrong
Old 02-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxNation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What’s the end game here?
To force everyone into a name change, or at least the high-horsers that have tooted their own horns

or;

To invalidate the naming policy by attempting to prove all names are against the policy in some way or another

Either way, this is making for some awesome Server Chat / R&F posts. I commend all involved.