Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Part of the reason people liked classic/vanilla PVP so much is because the time investment difference isn't nearly the deciding factor in PVP encounters that it becomes later on. People are legitimately wearing level 20 shit like hollowed bone bracers, runed bone forks, or at the very least easy to obtain items like skull shaped barbute.

The lack of a meaningful gear gap or insanely overpriced/difficult to obtain class defining spells leads to more people being competitive in end game PVP. Battles were won more on organization and overall skill level then just having double the HP of your opponent. The PVP was just...better.

You combine that with an extremely condensed world, where really no spot in the game aside from some out of the way places in the Karanas, Lake Rathetear or OOT are more than a 5 minute run away from a portal with SoW, and you have better PVP that occurs more often.

Toss in the fact that any mob in the game at that point can be done with half of what is required for the baseline top tier target in Velious, and you have the recipe for a server that actually revolves around PVP instead of it just happening by accident 90% of the time.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:37 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Incredibly ironic coming from a guy who has poop socked multiple PVE MMO's in a row now at Korean play time levels.
Looks like I hit a nerve. #42 on the DKP list. Hope you got a Serta.

Mid Level Monarchists - You may not get everything you ask for but eventually you'll have a full suit of velious armor. Number of raids to be fully geared: 1,200-1,300

#42 Checkraise Attendance 210
Raids per Top Tier Item 52.50

Disgusting.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Planar Protector

rogean said he literally ripped luclin code out, AAs and shit. no way they will be able to put that back in on the current set up. i could be wrong but it sounds like they would have to start from scratch or at 3-4 years back from the current version. better chances of just getting a diff dev team to start on a new custom box.

if you just want the zones and mobs, maybe it would take as much.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not both? Classic server, classic timeline, with the hint of a promise of more to come after Velious. I really believe the promise of Velious during Kunark kept people immersed.
This,

There has been so much changed in the past 4 years: Exp rates and group bonus, insta click pvp items, class customizations, items that ruined pvp, exp loss on pvp death, /ooc, yellowtext (we could go on and on). All for the better if you ask me, unfortunately most of those changes came too late or too early to retain some of the players that were grief'd off by them. Never the less a restart of this exact server would surely re-immerse hundreds of people.

Not to mention the amounts of RMT, just and unjust banning's, multiple members of staff dismissed and a general loss of faith in the red community.

RESET BUTTON
Old 01-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

I just think a classic restart, while fun for a bit, will suffer the same problem every MMO has. Once I progress my character to the max, I have nothing to do other than make an alt, or not play. AA's present a never ending grind that keeps people playing, which was the number one complaint people had about them. However, on a server of sickos like red99, I think it would result in constant pop.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Banned

Warm Bodies - Forgetable

checking in
Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just think a classic restart, while fun for a bit, will suffer the same problem every MMO has. Once I progress my character to the max, I have nothing to do other than make an alt, or not play. AA's present a never ending grind that keeps people playing, which was the number one complaint people had about them. However, on a server of sickos like red99, I think it would result in constant pop.
That's why the promise of more expansions is important. Classic EQ has a lot to do once you hit max level, Kunark will only be months away so you will be preparing either by doing tradeskills, leveling an alt, or farming cash. A new server timeline gives a lot of time for the developers to consider Luclin, and the hint of Luclin maybe appearing after Velious will keep people immersed during Velious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barladore
Not to mention the amounts of RMT, just and unjust banning's, multiple members of staff dismissed and a general loss of faith in the red community.
Don't forget all the cure shields, AoNs, amassed wealth, and insane number of alternate characters which never existed on live.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

It took them like 4 years to do Velious, Luclin has just as much content plus AAs thrown in. Pushing for a wipe and restart is one thing, especially if the population continues to fall...but asking for Luclin is just a waste of time.

The way to keep peoples interest here long term isn't to continually release static content - that is what actual gaming companies do with full time development staff and funding. On a free server you need to create dynamic player driven mechanisms and let the server run itself (i.e. city control type stuff present on some other PVP servers).
Old 01-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I cannot wait for the blue migrants to slowly turn on each other after they realize that getting loot for the purpose of progression is pointless with no future expansions planned.

The human butt can only take so many hours in ToV before it gives out.
I think that reality is starting to set in for everyone. The best answer I have is to do custom content and make Kunark bosses actually relevant and drop high end loot, that way there is more than 1 zone for people to raid in, will make the world feel big again.

Make a new server? Well then you just split your already low population....there are no good answers here.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kergan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Part of the reason people liked classic/vanilla PVP so much is because the time investment difference isn't nearly the deciding factor in PVP encounters that it becomes later on. People are legitimately wearing level 20 shit like hollowed bone bracers, runed bone forks, or at the very least easy to obtain items like skull shaped barbute.

The lack of a meaningful gear gap or insanely overpriced/difficult to obtain class defining spells leads to more people being competitive in end game PVP. Battles were won more on organization and overall skill level then just having double the HP of your opponent. The PVP was just...better.

You combine that with an extremely condensed world, where really no spot in the game aside from some out of the way places in the Karanas, Lake Rathetear or OOT are more than a 5 minute run away from a portal with SoW, and you have better PVP that occurs more often.

Toss in the fact that any mob in the game at that point can be done with half of what is required for the baseline top tier target in Velious, and you have the recipe for a server that actually revolves around PVP instead of it just happening by accident 90% of the time.
QFT

Pushing for more content is a blue thing. A PvP Server doesn't need more content, it needs the content it has to be interesting, accessible, and balanced. If we compare this server to dedicated PvP games, we'll see that dedicated PvP is more about tweaks, balancing, and events than it is about adding content.

Classic was as accessible and balanced as EQ ever was, and fit our low server population. Kunark didn't, and while the devs did a commendable job working on it, the community still deteriorated. And Velious is a blue-like ghost town for the same reasons.

Besides, classic is as classic as fuck as classic as fuck gets.
Last edited by easy_lee; 01-14-2016 at 04:54 PM..
Closed Thread