Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vaguely laid out "ideas" get copyright all the time (looking at you apple) especially in the software field (my field).

The same reason DC never made a Wolverine character and just called him Bob
Bigby Wolf

"Fables was a comic book series published by DC Comics's Vertigo imprint beginning in 2002." - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
is the same reason you can't copy a software game idea thats executed the same way (MMO) with the same game mechanics (monk fd is a good example -which is the key part and why you've never seen another game with a class called monk with the skill called feign death) and just rename stuff, which is what caught my eye.
Luc Besson vs Moebius. Valve vs Blizzard.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/570/d...8237921/?ctp=7

Quote:
has Dota 2 May 16, 2015 @ 12:08pm
Originally posted by PikaStu!:
While the exact reason for SK's conversion to WK was not made public, it's probably either due to appealing to the low violence version or to Blizzard.

Keep in mind, even if it was done due to Blizzard it may have been for legal reasons or it may have been done out of courtesy. Part of the initial lawsuit about Dota going to Valve was that Blizzard could make a then named "Blizzard Dota". Neither company is probably looking to further confuse consumers and want to make sure that both products are distinct.
That's the difference between Valve and Blizzard.
When Valve used names and images that were copyrighted by Blizzard, they waited for the game to get popular to make a lawsuit, giving that the game had at least 2 years when they suddenly remembered that "Necrolyte" "Windrunner" and other names and heroes were copyrighted.
When the Black Mesa Source team started making the game, Valve told them to remove the "Source" in the title to avoid any future copyrighted issue, before the game was even released.

Quote:
A lot of IP Google lawyers in here I see lol.

If you watch the latest live stream of game play the monk, cleric, and enchanter class are straight rips from current EQ. Skills, spells, class name, game mechanics... Lifted straight from EQ.

All I was saying is if i noticed it you know DB did and you can't do that. It's the "idea" + "excecution" that makes a IP for all you Google lawyers out there, and I was surprised to see such a clear copy.
PRotF's Dire Lord looks to be the rough equivalent to EQ's Shadow Knight, but it has its own name/differences just like WoW's Death Knight. Also, you're watching footage of a game in pre-alpha stage, so everything you're pointing out could very well (and is likely) just be a placeholder for their own original sound, name, ability, etc. In fact, that has been stressed a number of times.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Sarnak

Mostly everything in EQ was ripped from D&D and they had no issues. Sure they changed monk ability names like "move silently" to "sneak" and "slow fall" to "safe fall." The disciplines were still called disciplines, even if some were renamed.

Basically, most things (including general mechanics) will be copyable even if they do need to end up tweaking some ability names.

There's so many books and games in the fantasy genre going back a long long time. It can be claimed they're inspired by those and D&D instead of copying from EQ. Try proving otherwise in court.
Last edited by Victorio; 05-05-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Old 05-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
?

Daybreak owns the IP. Just because you're the developer on a project doesn't mean years later you get to make the exact same project for yourself with IP rights involved, and the reason why I mentioned it is if you watch the latest live in development playthrough even the classes are exactly the same it's pretty much the exact same game. Daybreak isn't going to let him make a MMO that's an exact copy of EQ live

Edit- by "exactly the same" I mean same names -same terminology, if you stripped the pantheon name and labeled it EQ Next you wouldn't know the difference.
You've got to be an idiot if you think Daybreak can sue because some MMORPG came out and used some of the same names for abilities/classes/terminology.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You've got to be an idiot if you think Daybreak can sue because some MMORPG came out and used some of the same names for abilities/classes/terminology.
Lighten up, Francis. He's not an idiot, he's just wrong, happens to the best of us.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lighten up, Francis. He's not an idiot, he's just wrong, happens to the best of us.
Hey, anyone that's wrong has to be an idiot!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
?

Daybreak owns the IP. Just because you're the developer on a project doesn't mean years later you get to make the exact same project for yourself with IP rights involved, and the reason why I mentioned it is if you watch the latest live in development playthrough even the classes are exactly the same it's pretty much the exact same game. Daybreak isn't going to let him make a MMO that's an exact copy of EQ live

Edit- by "exactly the same" I mean same names -same terminology, if you stripped the pantheon name and labeled it EQ Next you wouldn't know the difference.

There is nothing in Pantheon that is conflicting with anything Daybreak owns as part of the EverQuest IP. The terminology came about from the players, obviously they'll continue to use the same terminology where it applies in other games.

So Daybreak doesn't have to "let" them do anything. Pretty much everything that they could say is copied from EQ are typical fantasy RPG races/classes, with typical fantasy RPG spells, none of which they hold exclusive rights of.

Project 1999 Red
Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was kind of surprised that there's gnomes, ogres, warriors, all the names we are familiar are being used in Pantheon it seems.

I really hope the game is worth playing, but was a tad disappointed that more creativity was not used with the classes, races, etc.
Eh, for me I would prefer them to use the archetypical races/classes. I don't mind a few "out there" races/classes, but as a general rule I like the typical high-fantasy stuff most. I can't recall the name of the game but there was this one MMO I played years ago that didn't have any of the usual races/classes you'd come to expect, instead there were "runes", "blademasters", "wardens", etc and it just felt odd. The classes in EQ, and other games using primarily DnD style classes, just make sense.

The game is meant for classic EQ players, I would expect them to atleast bring back the original race/class lineup that was available in the base version of EQ. If they wanted to add on from there, that's great. Alot of people got attached to their in-game characters though, and being able to revive their old EQ character in Pantheon
would probably be quite important.

Project 1999 Red
Old 05-07-2017, 01:34 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

you guys derailed the shit out of this thread

can we please get back to talking about why bards aren't in the original release ?
Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

Quote:
(monk fd is a good example -which is the key part and why you've never seen another game with a class called monk with the skill called feign death)
??? WoW has Warriors with the skill Taunt, Rogues with the skill Backstab, etc
Old 05-07-2017, 03:51 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PRotF's Dire Lord looks to be the rough equivalent to EQ's Shadow Knight, but it has its own name/differences just like WoW's Death Knight.
Death Knight predates WoW and EQ.
Closed Thread